Youth Philanthropy Council
The Youth Philanthropy Council (YPC) is a passionate group of West Vancouver students dedicated to developing leadership and next-gen philanthropy through youth-led grant-making and volunteerism.
In 2018, YPC in embracing the philosophy of inclusion, sense of belonging and celebration of diversity by initiating 2 major youth events, which potentially touch every youth of West Vancouver and beyond.
TEDx Youth West Vancouver: The Butterfly Effect
A number of YPC members initiated, created, and planned the first ever TEDx Youth West Vancouver held on September 22, 2018 at the Kay Meek Centre and it was a great success!
TEDxYouth @ WestVancouver inspired the local youth community through demonstrating what is possible. Their diverse set of young and experienced speakers shared how their philanthropic, innovative, and entrepreneurial ventures have impacted the greater world. On September 22, youth from West Vancouver and beyond gathered to have conversations about what pushes the limits of what is possible.
Click here to learn more about the local youth community pushing boundaries and changing perspectives.
YPC launched the first ever “Do1Give” event on April 19. They involved most youth of West Vancouver within West Van schools. For one day, they inspired every youth to do something special for someone else and inspired more than 4,000 acts of giving - successfully starting a wave of giving – and happiness! 2019 will see more acts of giving on April 17.
The YPC invites applications, meets with potential grantees, reviews and provides grants from a Youth Endowment Fund for transformative projects that:
- Engage young people and contribute to a vibrant and resilient community
- Celebrate diversity and create opportunities for inclusion
- Address the immediate needs of youth along with the potential for long-term impact and sustainability
The grant application deadline for 2019 will be announced soon.
How You Can Help
The Youth Philanthropy Council is an initiative of the West Vancouver Foundation. Our goal is to support community leadership and philanthropy for young people.
2018-2019 YPC Members
- Anna Edmonds: Grade 12, Mulgrave (Co-Chair)
- Lillian Huang, Grade 12, Mulgrave (Co-Chair)
- Alison Shang: Grade 11, Sentinel
- Andre Zou: Grade 11, Rockridge
- Fallon O'Neill: Grade 11, Rockridge
- Gia Da Roza: Grade 11, West Vancouver Secondary
- Howard Zhao: Grade 11, Sentinel
- Isha Ohri: Grade 12, West Vancouver Secondary
- Pegah Abyaneh: Grade 12, Mulgrave
- Sara Niyyati: Grade 12, West Vancouver Secondary
- Yas Zareyan: Grade 12, West Vancouver Secondary
- Naomi Denning (Board Liaison)