We believe in building community and strengthening connections right where people live. And in honour of our fortieth anniversary in 2019, we will award forty Neighbour Grants! Neighbour Grants provide of up to $500 for community members to develop projects together that meet the following goals:
- Connect and engage neighbours
- Share skills and knowledge within the community
- Increase sense of belonging and responsibility to one's community
- Respect and celebrate diversity
When Can I Apply?
Limited funds are still available. Apply as soon as possible. Applications are open until October 15, 2019 or until funds are dispersed.
We support projects of all kinds, and we continue to be particularly interested in encouraging applications in the following areas:
1. Projects that connect indigenous and non-indigenous community members to promote cross-cultural learning and understanding.
Example: community kitchens where stories of food are shared, collaborative arts and crafts workshops where participants exchange their skills and experiences
2. Projects that are led by youth aged 18-24.
Example: youth-led community dialogues, youth-led neighbourhood-cleanup events that foster intergenerational connections
We are proud to partner with the Vancouver Foundation and the Howard Martin Memorial Fund to fund and deliver Neighbour Grants in West Vancouver. If your organization is interested in becoming a Neighbour Grants partner, please contact the office.
- To learn more about eligibility and the application process, visit the Neighbourhood Small Grants website.
- Bring the West Vancouver Memorial Library's Honouring Reconciliation resources or Reconciliation Canada's Reconciliation Toolkit to your neighbourhood.
- Find lessons learned, ideas, and examples to create projects where you live with the Resilient Streets Toolkit.
- Planning to host an event in a public space? Learn about permits required at the District of West Vancouver's Special Events page.
Have unanswered questions or need help with developing your project? Please contact us.
Neighbour Grants Committee
The Neighbour Grants Committee is made up of community volunteers who are passionate about building connection and belonging in West Vancouver. They help raise awareness about the Neighbour Grants Program, make grant decisions, and mentor grant recipients.
- ChiChi Wang
- Hoon Choi
- Eleanor Cramb
- Lorna Duncan
- Tamara Leger
Neighbour Grants Stories
Neighbour Grants Project Leaders share their inspiring stories about people in West Vancouver gathering, sharing, celebrating, and connecting in 2018.
Cedardale: A grandmother moves to a new community and organizes a block party to build a community where her grandson will be comfortable enough to knock on a neighbour's door and ask for help.
I Can, You Can, We Can: Residents invite our local Paralympics Gold Medalist to share her stories of passion, injuries, adversity, and triumphs with West Vancouver.
Mid Autumn Festival: Young children from different cultural backgrounds learn about a traditional Chinese Festival.
Parking Lot Party: The West Vancouver Presbyterian Church held its first-ever Parking Lot Party to gather with neighbours and to celebrate a year of their children’s choir initiative.
Tall Trees Beach Cleanup and Celebration: A small neighbourhood spent a summer morning cleaning up the beach and hosting a full house at an evening BBQ.