West Vancouver Foundation supports charitable organizations working to create and sustain a healthy and vibrant West Vancouver, where everyone is valued, contributes and feels they belong.
Major Grants support community initiatives that focus on systems-level change and transformation for current and emerging issues for the benefit of the community of West Vancouver.
Why Systems Change?
Big, complex problems cannot be solved by any one improvement or any one organization acting alone. These problems, sometimes called "wicked problems", typically have numerous causes and lack clear solutions. They involve multiple stakeholders and ultimately require lots of people and organizations to shift their mindset and behavior. Examples include; climate change, poverty, mental health and wellness. Principles for action can include collective solutions, developing learning cultures and alternatives to top-down leadership.
We will accept applications from March 1 - April 30, 2019
Who Can Apply
An organization is eligible to apply if it serves the West Vancouver Community and is a registered charity or qualified donee with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
An organization that is not a registered charity wishing to apply for funding from the Foundation, may consider developing a formal and genuine partnership with a registered charity whose mandate is similar. The registered charity would apply for funds for the proposed project and receive the funds on behalf of the partner. The CRA requires this relationship to be set out in writing, signed by the charity and organization doing the charitable work. Click here to visit CRA's website for more details.
Major Grants aim to support the West Vancouver community and address root causes of issues. Organizations must have submitted a final report for previous WVF grants before submitting a new application.
- Must be charitable in nature;
- Fall within the Impact Areas as listed in the Grant Guidelines;
- Must be for the benefit of the community of West Vancouver.
The following initiatives are ineligible:
- Deficit reduction (e.g. debts or loans);
- Building an endowment;
- Primarily benefitting individuals (such as scholarships);
- Expenses incurred before the date of the grant approval;
- National or provincial initiatives without specific benefit to West Vancouver;
- Religious activities or services that focus on only one spiritual tradition;
- Political activity that is prohibited by the Canada Revenue Agency.
How To Apply
- Read the Grant Guidelines and assess your program/project eligibility
- Submit your application as a PDF or .doc to firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff may contact you to discuss your application or to set up a site visit. The Grants Committee will meet to recommend grants for approval by the Board of Directors. By end-June 2019, you will receive an email notifying you if your grant request was approved or denied.
If you have questions about Major Grants, please contact Denise Howell.